Saturday, March 24, 2012

My Mantra...

At the beginning of this new paradigm I needed a way to remind myself to stay on track. I was afraid that I'd go into a food trance and wake up with an empty bag of cornchips in my hand. I had been living to eat. Measuring my days in salt, carbohydrates, fat and texture. Convincing myself that the salad at lunch trumped all of the other crap that I was eating. I had constant heartburn, knees that barely worked and I woke up in the middle of the night with my heart galloping. I wanted to be mindful of food. I wanted to taste it, feel nourished and sustained by it. I wanted to eat to live. 

Kora and I are hand writers...(she comes by it honestly), for years I almost always had a phone number or some reminder scrawled on my left hand (the original palm pilot). My darling daughter has taken the art to new heights, writing entire lists of tasks practically up her arm.

I started writing E2L on my thumb with a sharpie and telling myself "I want to eat to live, I want to live, eat to live, live..." It helped to have the visual reminder. As soon as it washed off, I wrote it again. (can you get sharpie poisioning?)  Being an art teacher, I wanted a more aesthetically pleasing reminder, so I started to play with the design of my mantra/motto/logo. My latest version is a small beet with E2L hidden in its greens...I am thinking about getting inked.

The following link is to a website called Nourished kitchen...it is full of great recipes that support the Gaps diet! (I just ignore those with grains or substitute with nut or coconut flour, which I grind fresh in a dedicated coffee grinder)


and here is a link to kale chips.


enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment